sinking in and singing out

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Hard Times saved my xmas eve.

So, I thought I had heard that the Post Office closed at 2 on Xmas Eve. So, I raced to the one off of Lake and Nicolett. Closed. Raced over to the one by the U. Closed. Then, to the Midway Post Office. The postman was moping the floor. All closed. Poop. It was around 1pm by then and I was so hungry. So, I tempted the thought of just eating at Ginkgo and getting soup, but Seward Cafe just sounded so much better. What I really wanted was a pancake. Off to Seward I went.

The Seward area was much more slippery and slushy than around my apartment in Uptown. So, my car was sliding. I hate driving in snow. I love the snow, but I could do without driving in it...

But anyhow, I made it into the Seward Cafe. Wrote up my order and handed the lovely lady behind the counter my ticket.

Mmhmm, pancake.
Oh sorry, we stopped taking food orders 15 min ago.
Oh, I said. Hmm, I thought out loud. Can I just have a coffee?
Yep.

She handed me a coffee and I handed her a dollar bill.

I went back to my seat and continued on reading No One Belongs Here More Than You. A gift from a lovely one. A one I love.

I heard others pick up their orders and such. Reading along, I was so hungry. I finished up my coffee, closed up my book, and considered going to Hard Times. Thought, they have to open. I put on my coat. Scarfed up. I was ready and out the door. I looked behind me when I got to the door and noticed that I totally disregarded their holiday hours. Looking at the hand written sign, I realized that not only did I try to get food after they stopped taking orders, but I also walked in after they had closed. They had closed at 1pm and I walked in at 1:15pm. So far, I was not having any luck.

I got to my car and it was final - I was going to Hard Times to eat a pancake.

I knew they would be open. I slipped out of the Seward Area and onto the Riverside area. It wasn't easy getting out the Seward area though. When I pulled out of the Seward Cafe's parking lot a car was stuck at the light. Its tire was a spinnin' in the snow. It was going nowhere and I didn't have it in my to help push it. I reversed and went the other way.

Not so far away, I made it to Hard Times. Parked my car and ran across the street. Found a booth. Ordered another cup of coffee, mmmm. Pancake up with some hashbrowns. Yes, thank you Hard Times. I read some more. And some more. I was so happy.

When I was eating my hashbrowns, I was thinking about how LA has nothing like Hard Times. Seward Cafe even. There are so many great things about the Twin Cities, but without Hard Times is like misery. I am so glad it's finally open. Something was missing while it was closed- a Minneapolis void, really.

It's back, and you, Hard Times saved my Xmas Eve.

I had to head to St. Paul for work. Stopping for food, I made it just in time as Mississippi Market closed at 3:30pm closing. With all that, I thought I'd be late for work, but I was 20 minutes early!

One other thing, wrapping children's gifts is a chore of its own kind.
Another thing, I don't understand why people get their cars towed in snow emergencies. I mean I get it if they are out of town. But it's pretty easy to understand where NOT to park your car.
Third thing, I miss my boyfriend. He's out of town for Xmas.
One last thing, I want to see The Savages.

No comments: